The Prince is Dead



The news came in via Facebook.
Hints, then confirmation.

Prince is dead.
Found dead at his home.


For me personally, not the punch to the gut
of learning that John Lennon was dead
or George Harrison 
(though we knew that was coming)
because Prince wasn't my thing.

But I knew my daughter would be devastated.
As a young teen, she was gaga over him, 
then way girls were Paul girls
or John girls (until the Beatles broke up).
She fantasized that they would marry.
In other words, she was really in to him.

So I called her to say "I'm sorry."
I knew she'd be in mourning.
And she was.
She said, "Ive been bawling my eyes out
since I heard the news."
And then, not knowing what else to do,
I sat down and composed the tribute collage
you see above. 

A few years ago, when she lived in Omaha
instead of ten minutes from me,
I discovered that her idol was doing a concert there,
in her adopted city.
I don't know how I got so lucky, 
but I scored tickets in the first row
as a gift for her.

It's nice to be able to give a gift
that's never forgotten.

For all you Prince fans out there,
I know the Purple Rain is falling around you
and doves are crying.
So sorry for your loss.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes Things Aren't What They Seem

Haiku My Heart: May the Fourth Be With You